RENTAL APPLICATION SCREENING CRITERIA
Raintree Management, Inc is an equal housing property management company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, marital status, source of income, familial status, handicap or disability. We do discriminate, however on the basis of how one pays the rent, obeys laws, handles professional relationships, treats neighbors and takes care of property. We will perform an investigative consumer report through which we attempt to obtain written, oral or other communication concerning your credit worthiness, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, mode of living as well as verification of income and verification other information you provide on your application. If you feel you meet our criteria, we encourage you to apply.
We have tried to list the criteria by which we evaluate rental applications. Carefully read through it, but keep in mind that the criteria is a guideline and that we do evaluate each application on a case by case basis and reserve the right to make exceptions if, in using our best judgment, we feel the applicant will be a tenant who will pay rent on time, take exceptional care of the property, will not disturb the neighbors and who will abide by all laws and the terms of the rental agreement. Please feel free to provide alternative measures by which we can evaluate your application or add additional comments, either on the back of the application or a separate sheet of paper, if you feel further explanation of an item on the application will benefit you. WE MUST BE ABLE TO OBTAIN ENOUGH POSITIVE INFORMATION TO BE CONVINCED YOU WILL BE THE TYPE OF TENANT DESCRIBED ABOVE.
Applications are processed in the order received. We rent to the first qualified person presenting a complete, legible application without any blanks and who meet the criteria listed. We must be able to verify all pertinent information. If, after a good faith effort, we are unable to do so, we will move on to the next applicant. It is up to you to provide us with the information we need. We cannot make a decision without the requested information and we will not search for it. We will only make TWO attempts to contact each reference. If, after TWO DAYS, we have been unable to speak with your references, we will move on to the next applicant. We strongly suggest that you take steps to be sure your references will be available.
- We need a separate completed application on each person to occupy the premises who is 18 years of age or older or who is emancipated.
- Two forms of ID are required, one must have a picture. We will take a photocopy for the file.
- Providing ANY false information and or embellishing the truth on the application shall be grounds for rejection or subsequent termination of tenancy.
- You must sign the application and initial that you have read the criteria. We cannot process the application without it.
- Within 24-hours of approval, you must either sign a rental agreement and pay the first month’s rent and security deposit or sign an agreement to hold the property and pay the security deposit. We can only hold a property for approximately seven days. Prorated rents shall apply to the 2nd month.
- Initial rental payment and security deposit may not be in the form of a personal check.
- CREDIT: Except under certain circumstances, we obtain a consumer credit report on each applicant. Negative credit alone may not disqualify you, however, unpaid utility bills, unpaid liens, judgments or collection accounts may cause your application to be denied or we will require double deposit. If you owe a landlord money, you will be denied. You may provide us with an explanation for any negative credit information that may show up. We are looking for applicants that routinely and regularly pays their bills.
- INCOME: Total income for the household must be at least 3 times the rental amount. Income may include food stamps, child support or any other legal source of income. If you are a Section 8 tenant, your assistance will be considered a part of your income. We must be able to verify your stated income. If the source is other than employment such as retirement income, public assistance or self-employment, you must provide proof in the form of award letters, income tax returns, or bank statements. We evaluate your income for stability and reliability.
- DEBT: If you have excessive debt, 66% or more of your income including rent, you may be denied.
- OCCUPANCY: Guidelines are two persons per bedroom. Exceptions may be made based on size & configuration of the unit. Children under the age of two are not considered in the count. We do not rent to more than two family groups per unit regardless of family size.
- RESIDENT HISTORY: You must tell us where you have lived (Rented, Owned, Friends, Family, Hotel; all places you have physically stayed) for the last FIVE CONSECUTIVE YEARS with no gaps in the date ranges even if you have not rented. You must have 3 years Rental History within the last 5 years and it must be verifiable from unbiased, independent, unrelated sources. Landlord references are very important. The way you paid your rent and took care of the property provides the best indication of how you will deal with future rentals. If we are unable to verify information we require from your previous landlords to complete the application or negative information is received from a landlord it will result in denial of application. Renting from friends or family will not be considered. If you do not have three years of rental history, asked to pay double deposit or you may be denied, depending on the property you are applying for or other information obtained. We may visit your current residence if possible. If your unit is excessively messy and uncared for, we will deny the application. To rent ANY house and selected apartments or duplexes you MUST have three years unbiased rental history or home ownership. If required for an apartment or duplex it will be noted in the advertising of that unit. There will be no modification of this requirement.
- EVICTIONS: We normally do not rent to anyone who has been evicted, however we may consider your tenancy if the eviction was over five years ago and was for nonpayment of rent, you currently have sufficient income, you have had perfect rental history since the eviction, you do not owe a landlord money, there has not been more than one eviction, there is no negative information received from the evicting landlord except for nonpayment and you are willing to pay double deposit.
- COURT/CRIMINAL RECORDS: We will check criminal and other court records. Please report any & all violations including felonies, misdemeanors, DUII, traffic, etc. You will be denied if we find current or past use, sale and/or manufacture of illegal drugs. You will be denied if you have been convicted of felony or misdemeanor crimes against people, sex offense, financial fraud, identity theft, forgery or a crime that would adversely affect property of the landlord, a tenant or the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premise by others. You will be denied if we find excessive convictions of any kind, including traffic violations. This shows irresponsibility and disregard for the law. We are looking for responsible tenants who will be good neighbors. Failure to disclose requested information will result in automatic denial. We will look at and consider all past criminal history – there are no time limitations. You are welcome to submit a letter of explanation regarding your criminal history with us for consideration PRIOR to submitting an application.
- OTHER SOURCES: Other information we may uncover that leads us to believe your tenancy would be a threat to neighbors, other tenants or the property will result in denial.
- BEHAVIOR: Demeanor or manners during the application and interview process will be considered. If you or persons with you are rude or in any way display behavior that causes us to believe you won’t get along with the neighbors or take care of the property, you may be denied.
- REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: We attempt to provide reasonable accommodation in rules, policies, practices and services. If you feel you need reasonable accommodation, please ask.
- EXCEPTIONS: If we do make an exception to our criteria, we will ask for increased security deposit. We do not accept co-signers.
- PETS: In properties allowing pets, you will be required to pay additional security deposit of $500.00 per pet. Pets are defined as any animal capable of doing property damage or personal injury. We reserve the right to restrict size, breed & number of animals if pets are accepted.
- TOBACCO/MARIJUANA: Use of tobacco products is not allowed inside any property that we manage. Unless approved by the property owner, marijuana is not allowed to be grown or consumed on any property we manage.